Frequently asked questions for the Brussels region.

Why has the conversion calendar been changed for some municipalities?
Since our gas grid is interlinked with those of other regions, the conversion schedule has been optimised in consultation with Fluxys, Ores and Fluvius to guarantee citizens the best possible technical and economic conditions
When will the conversion take place in Brussels?
In the Brussels-Capital region, everyone will be affected. Due to the large number of people concerned, the conversion will be staggered. This is why in Brussels, the conversion will take place between 2020 and 2022. Each year, several municipalities will carry out the conversion. A provisional timetable has been drawn up for this purpose and can be adapted each year if necessary. The conversions will take place in summer (in June), when less gas is consumed. However, in 2020, due to the disruption caused by the coronavirus, the conversion will exceptionally take place in September.
What do I need to do?
3 étapes :

① Get an authorised technician to check whether your appliances are compatible with rich gas when informed by your gas supplier and/or Sibelga, to ensure that they continue to work correctly and safely after the conversion.

The compatibility check is provided during the boiler/water-heater's mandatory periodic inspection. Regional legislation requires your boiler to be checked every two years. For other gas-powered appliances, we recommend that you ask the technician to check whether they are compatible with rich gas during your periodic inspection.

To avoid extra charges, you are strongly advised to combine the compatibility check with your boiler's next mandatory regular check. In Brussels, this must be carried out every two years.

② If your appliance is compatible:

This is the case for all appliances sold in Belgium since 1978. However, 20% of compatible appliances need to be adjusted before conversion. This must also be performed by the authorised technician.

②’ If your appliance is not compatible:

The appliance is not compatible because it dates from before 1978 or it was purchased abroad and does not comply with Belgian standards. Therefore, it must be replaced.

Note: new appliances are more efficient and save +/- 25% energy.

③ Ask for a visit report:

Following the check, the technician must provide you with a visit report stating whether or not your appliances are compatible.

Keep this report so you can send a copy to the homeowner if you rent your property, or to any future owner of your home if you own it.

Was the compatibility check on your boiler performed as part of the mandatory PEB (building energy efficiency) periodic inspection? You can find all the information about this inspection in the "recommendations" section of your periodic inspection report.
What do you need to do with the visit report provided by the technician?
After checking whether your appliances are compatible, the technician is required to provide you with a visit report stating whether or not your appliances are compatible.

Keep this report so you can send a copy to the homeowner if you rent your property, or to any future owner of your home if you own it.
What will happen if I don't get my appliances checked?
Not getting your gas appliances checked may present a risk after the conversion. In fact, your appliance may not work in an optimal manner, for example it might produce more CO, you might consume more gas or your appliance might deteriorate more quickly.

An appliance that is not working properly is more expensive, bad for the environment and may even harm your health and that of your housemates.

In terms of safety, remember that in the vast majority of cases, the rooms in which a gas appliance is located must have sufficient ventilation and comply with the different safety standards in force.
Who is my distribution system operator?
In Brussels, Sibelga is the only distribution system operator.
Who is my gas supplier?
You will find the contact details of your gas supplier on your gas bill.
What assistance/allowances is/are available to me?
  • Allowance for the mandatory periodic inspection. This allowance is available to those experiencing financial hardship.
  • Allowance for replacing a boiler bought before 2000
  • Who is doing what? Who will be involved?
    Sibelga is responsible for the technical installation of your natural gas supply (valves and the pipes up to and including your meter). It is responsible for the construction, maintenance and management of natural gas distribution networks and the distribution of natural gas to the consumers connected to their network. However, the distribution system operator is not responsible for the equipment located beyond the meter that distributes the gas inside homes. This is commonly called the "indoor installation" and is the responsibility of the homeowner. Your distribution system operator takes an annual summary of your gas meter to determine your consumption level. These services are billed to you by your natural gas supplier.

    The natural gas supplier purchases large quantities of gas on the markets (wholesale) and sells it on a retail basis to consumers (individuals and businesses). The natural gas supplier is responsible for administering and billing for the service. It is therefore this supplier that purchases the rich gas in replacement for lean gas and that issues your gas bill on the basis of the consumption data provided by your distribution system operator. Gas consumers can choose their gas suppliers.

    Authorised technicians are technicians registered by your region for the mandatory regular checks on your gas appliances, a manufacturer or an official distributor appointed by the appliance's manufacturer. Each region also holds a list of authorised technicians.

    Are you unsure whether your technician can carry out the check or don't have a regular authorised technician? Ask your appliance's manufacturer for a list of authorised technicians or consult the list of authorised technicians in the Brussels-Capital region on the Bruxelles Environnement website: (You will need to know their boiler type, fuel oil, G1 or G2, to be able to choose the correct list on the Bruxelles Environnement site.)

    Other questions about the gas conversion?
    Go to the FAQ on the federal government’s website